logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142482 09/17/02 04:46 PM
OP Offline
[Forwarded from elsewhere, with permission, TIME SENSITIVE]

Hi. David Pierson, a reporter with the LA Times, is trying to finish up his article on homeschooling. It is currently scheduled
to run this weekend, but his editor really wants him to interview a family from the San Fernando valley that uses the private school (R-4) option instead of a public, charter or ISP program. If you or someone you know fits that description, could you PLEASE get in touch with him? I think he's sympathetic, and I know there are wonderful families down there.

He can be reached by e-mail at [email]David.Pierson@latimes.com.[/email] His phone
number is 818-772-3154.

Thanks.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
MM Offline
Shark
Shark
He isn't scary to talk to at all. He was very nice to me and did seem supportive of homeschooling. He also passed along some good information to me, so it's a chance to see how this is progressing.

OP Offline
I just hope I can find a copy of that article when it runs.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
What's happening in CA is scary, and I'm afraid it's going to set a trend off around the country.
Frankly, that scares me because I have a lot of years of homeschooling left. It puzzles me how so many ppl can be so threatened by homeschooling. When it comes down to it, it's "all about the Benjamins", eh?

I would like to stay informed on how things are going there, and would like the URL to the article when it's published!
Thanks!
Meg

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
MM Offline
Shark
Shark
The reporter told me that he can't find any politicians who support Eastin's efforts to make us get credentials or put our kids back in school. He mentioned a logistical nightmare! So if the politicians think it's dangerous to get involved, we're probably okay. The reporter said the politicians all seemed to think nothing would change in California. It's just an issue of waiting out her little private vindetta. I think the LA Times charges for access-I'm not sure. I'll at least pass on a summary. I don't take that paper, but I'll try to watch for it.

OP Offline
The reporter told me that he can't find any politicians who support Eastin's efforts to make us get credentials or put our kids back in school.

However, it doesn't make it right to try to intimidate us in this way. I've heard of several new homeschoolers that will either use a public school funded ISP or even go so far as to get a teaching credential in order to teach their kids at home "legally". That's a terrible shame because there should be more to homeschooling than filling out worksheets.

MM Offline
Shark
Shark
I agree. Homeschooling works best when parents and children are having fun. I completely resent this intrusion on my last year or two-and I have seen parents getting involved here in the charter schools for protection. Eastin is winning in her own little way, even if the laws don't change, because she's making people afraid.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.