logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nisha Offline OP
OP Offline
I know a strong argument can be made that they have been,but are they now? I don't mean for this
to sound bad,or bashing,but I was glad to see the
two women playing for the French championship had
a different last name than Williams. One thing
I also liked was that the ladies that beat the two sisters did so because they believe they could,overlooking all the hype that surrounds the two sisters. I also believe the younger one could use some sportmanship lessons. I agree that they both are great players,but I think the world of tennis would like to see some new blood in the finals more often,I think that would be good for the sport.That is just my opinion,what is yours?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
FOW Offline
Not since Billy Jean King has Women's tennis been so popular. They have their own style and presence which is cool. Every sport needs to provide solid competition. Tennis has done this. Given all whom qualify a chance at the top.
I have enjoyed watching the William's sisters play tennis. A fresh face and style would be nice.

Amoeba
Amoeba
I don't think the level of women's tennis would be where it is without Venus and Serena. Same thing happened when Navratilova came on the scene, then again with Graf and Big Babe tennis. The difference now is that there's two Williams, and for awhile they were dominating everything. It was interesting at first, having two sisters meet in the final of a Grand Slam, but after awhile the drama was gone and we expected them to get through, almost predictable. What's the point of watching if the early-round matches are all one-sided, and everything leads to an all-Williams final? They've been good for the game, definitely increased the interest level of the public, but variety and different styles of play will keep it going.

D
D
As long as a player is winning they should be respected for that. After all isn�t the point of a professional player to WIN? Trying to knock out the #1 player and become that is what most athletes aspire to accomplish. The Williams sisters have brought a new level of competitive sprit and a never before seen level of fitness for woman. All woman can be grateful for that, to be seen as strong, athletic and fit is something we should all emulate. As in all sports the #1 position can not be held by any one person forever!!

F
Shark
Shark
F
Coming on the heels of Wimbledon, thought to bump this thread.

IMHO it is always a nice thing for a sport to get attention around celebrity players- Venessa and Serena helped spread awareness and hopefully created new fans outside the usual fan base.

I think Maria Sharapova has also brought attention to the sport, and will continue to help it gain broader awareness. She's beautiful and posed, and that makes an impression on people. I noticed she was at the unveiling of the new Land Rover LR2- good pick to represent an adventurous luxury vehicle.

Fashion Fiend with Heart & Soul
L
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
L
they are good.

A girl from Japan.

Moderated by  Sandy - Golf+Tennis Pro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.