Next Thread
Print Thread
#135872 10/28/02 10:06 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Are there any tricks to using metallic thread in a sewing machine? I'm using Sulky metallic thread with a cotton/poly bobbin. The metallic thread keeps breaking. Any ideas?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#135873 11/06/02 10:32 PM
Elephant
Elephant
Metallics are notorious for being problematic both in machine and hand sewing. Tension builds up on the thread uand it just snaps it, right?

You may have to adjust the tension on your sewing machine by hand until it and the thread agree and sew properly. Or you may have to change brands, which can be difficult for type of thread, color, etc. Or you can spool the thread off by hand into your machine to try and keep it fluid enough not to break while you sew. I've done that one....

- Rae

#135874 07/28/04 11:43 PM
When using metallic thread in a regular computerized machine, you need to wind your bobbin only 1/2 way full- the same as when using polynostic- translucent threads. It is MUCH easier to use these threads in your bobbin, so you may need to turn your garment over to sew in the reverse side. Don't use them in both upper and lower.

If you have an embroidery machine, I understand that this prcess is a bit trickier since the heat from the machine can cause the thread to heat up, expand and break more quickly & easily.

Use a thread solvent every time you use this type of thread or any non- standard [other then rayon]. Also, you do need to loosen your tension to avoid thread breakage. You also may wish to consider using a rayon- which can give you multi- colors, or perhaps a silk thread. Silk is pricier, tho. My preferred for decorative purpses is rayon.

Watch your needle size with metallics so as not to overly pierce and permanently mark your fabric.

Sew forth, lou-
<lou-dezynz@sbcglobal.net>

At 46y/o, I've been in the midst of divorce near-3years w/ all asets converted by HIM while I was bedridden for years. I now need to sell off ALL my sewing, quilting,crafting items as I have NO PLACE TO TAKJE THEM IN RELOCATING. Email me for list of 250+ books/ patterns. Other lists to follow.
#135875 08/30/04 03:29 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
Hi Jeanne,

Did any of the suggestions offered help out? I would just have said to adjust the tension and use a slightly longer stitch.

However, the reference made by Rae might be the trouble. If the brand is not working, another might be the answer.

Another consideration is the weight and texture of the fabric you are attempting to sew with the thread. What is your project?

How are you doing with this?

Sharon Sottile
BellaOnline Sewing Host
~ Rae ~ #546523 09/03/09 05:15 PM
M
M
just purchased a dress with metallic &quot;stamped&quot; onto upper part of dress and jacket. Problem is the glitter keeps coming off!!! What can I do to &quot;set that stuff&quot; to dance with my son and not glitter him?!!!

Hmmm... hairspray, maybe? I know when we do chalk rubbings of grave stones, we spray the finished &quot;picture&quot; with hairspray to set the chalk and keep it from rubbing off. ~Kelly H.

S
S
Hi, For sewing with metallic threads use a top stitch needle, slow the speed down if you can, and have the thread coming off the top of your machine. I put mine in a coffee cup behind the machine, and have it come over the top of the machine and thread as usual.

Moderated by  Cheryl - Sewing Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.