logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#133594 01/25/05 01:19 AM
dawnb Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello to all,
Does anyone know the method for this? I would like to have a try at doing this. I think it would make mt knitted slippers all the more warm and snuggly. Hopefully someone can advise.
Thanx again
Dawn

Old age is not so bad when you consider the alternative.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#133595 01/25/05 02:29 AM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Hi, Dawn--

If I understand it correctly-- fulling is another word for felting.

I've been working on some felted bags, and I've seen a lot of people making felted slippers and clogs.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATfelting.html

This article at Knitty has some good information on getting started in felting. There are also a lot of books out there on felting; most are a bit pricey, so I haven't bothered to buy any.

The whole concept of felting is to turn the knitting into a piece of fabric which looks like boiled wool. The process of knitting the wool yarn loosely on big needles, oversized for the yarn-- then washing it in hot, soapy water with other items for agitation-- this causes the wool to shrink. When it shrinks, the fibers on the yarn open up, and connect with each other, eventually forming a fabric without any "holes" or open spaces. You can cut out this felt with the same result as the thin, pressed "felt" you get from the craft store. The wool will felt as much as you want it too- when your knitting gets to the size you want it at finished, you take it out of the washing machine. Yes, you get to babysit the washer while you complete the process.

Back to the knitting process- let's say you would typically knit on size 7 needles for a gauge of 5 stitches per inch. For the felting process, you might be required to use size 10.5 needles, for a gauge of 3 stitches per inch.

Your knit felting has to air dry. You will need some forms to give it shape while it dries- I use whater I can find around the house (except the dogs, they are now onto my game and refuse to wear works in progress!)

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/PATTsuki.html

This is a felted bag pattern at Knitty. You can see the knitted bag before the felting, then the final product after felting.

The important thing for successful felting is using the right yarn. Stay away from white wool- it typically does not felt because of all the treatments it receives to get it white. Most wool-acrylic blends will not felt (though Lion brand's Landscapes felts decently) but other blends like wool-mohair, wool-alpalca will felt. The soap you use in the washing machine will affect feltabilty as well. I use shampoo, rather than washing powder. Ivory soap is good as well for the felting. For agitation, jeans work well, and there are even some "weights" you can buy specifically for the felting process. In my short felting experiences, I like the Lamb's Pride wools. They felt beautifully!

Take care!

#133596 01/25/05 07:47 AM
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
My friends are making felted market bags. It's amazing how huge they are before you felt them. I could almost sit in one! Their knitting didn't seem to be very loose though. Does the color of the yarn change when you felt it? It seemed lighter to me after.

The bags I've seen done are beautiful! I'm thinking about trying it.

Lisa Marie
www.the-stamp-pad.com
Hop on in! Let me show you how!
#133597 01/25/05 09:25 AM
dawnb Offline OP
OP Offline
:rolleyes: Hi Lisa Marie,
I cant answer any of your questions but i am definately going to give it a try. I knit a lot of slippers for the old folk and i reckon that would make them even more snuggly. 'though i have never actually seen anything done like this first hand, only in magazines. I will let you know results in a few weeks.
dawn

Old age is not so bad when you consider the alternative.
#133598 08/01/05 01:59 AM
You should definitely try it! I have already made 2 felted bags. I have made the French Market Tote as well, and it's very cute. Only thing I would change is to knit the body of the bag taller. My bag is kind of shallow, so I had to sew a button and a strap in the middle to keep it shut.
Here's a picture of it:

I just throw it into the washer (top load only, where you an stop the cycle and check its progress), with some jeans and towels. I usually reset it at least twice to make sure it has properly felted. Then, I just go ahead and let the machine do the final spin, because it gets all of the water out. If it's shaped funny when you take it out, all you have to do is stretch it into shape. Anyhow, good luck on your future purses!

#133599 08/01/05 11:42 AM
Eva Offline
Zebra
Zebra
Yes this is a must try but a little word of warning, this is VERY addicting. Once you find out how easy it really is you start brainstorming.

Eva

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.