logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#132735 12/31/02 01:35 PM
Klink Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello. I've searched high and low, all over the web, through my many many knitting pattern books and cannot find the girl's cable cardigan pattern that I want. I have 9 + balls of imported Italian 100% Mohair that is just begging to be knit up for darling 6 year old granddaughter. It's a Loud Purple that she will love. I have found a picture of THE sweater on the back of an older either Vogue or Simplicity mag. Now then, I consider myself above average knitter, what are the chances that I can work up my swatch for gauge and then make my own sweater pattern? I know her measurements and have figured just about how much ease to knit in. Am I being like a Lemming ... about to rush into the sea? Also, is there an easier way to measure yards in the ball without winding on niddynoddy? Thanks for reading and thank you for any encouragement/help.
Judyth in Kansas

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#132736 01/08/03 09:28 PM
Hi Judyth,

Sounds like you know what you want to do, so go for it!

The first thing you will want to do is a swatch to determine the gauge of your yarn. I'd suggest using the cable pattern you want for the sweater, as this will be the most critical item for constructing you own pattern. Be sure to determine both the stitch and row count for your gauge too, as both width and length are critical when constructing your own pattern.

If you don't have the cable pattern worked out already, here's an easy one that would work well with the mohair:
http://www.berroco.com/185/185_donna.html

It's also important to "map out" the sweater, so take the time to determine key measurements besides the width and length of the body. Take the time to measure sleeve length, the top width of the sleeve, length of the body to sleeve opening, width and depth of the neck opening and so forth.

If you're not sure of the completed measurements of the sweater you want to make, use the measurements of a similar sweater your granddaughter wears now. And if you're a visual person (like me), take a few minutes and draw a diagram of the sweater with the measurements included.

If you're having trouble determining details such as number of stitches for ribbing, etc, find a sweater pattern that has the same gauge and sizing as the one you want to make, and use it as reference. You can also use this to determine body measurements.

Also try and keep the design simple. Stick to a basic drop shoulder design with little shaping in the body. The less you have to worry about, the better. And a trick I learned from an experienced knitter who's gauge sometimes changes slightly from the swatch to the sweater (like mine sometimes does)-make the sleeves first, as they are a bit more forgiving, and a slight difference in finished measurements won't make as much of a difference as it would on the body of the sweater.

If you need to adjust the size slightly, consider using a simple stitch like moss (knit 1, purl 1) between the cables. Looks good, and very forgiving. Mohair yarn also looks lovely in lacy patterns, so consider that as well.

I know there's alot to consider here, but I think with your skill level and sense of adventure, you can do this (and do it well). Keep it simple. take the time to work out your calculations carefully, and you'll end up with a truly original sweater your granddaughter will love.

And as always, if need any help, just ask!
Alison

#132737 01/27/03 01:53 PM
Judyth,
If you are still in need of a way to determine yardage per ounce, take some of the yarn you are going to knit with down to your local knitting shop and find a similar yarn. They people at the shop will be able to tell you if the similarity is enough to use the yardage estimator on the ball of comparable yarn to figure out how much you actually have.

Deborah

#132738 01/27/03 05:33 PM
Klink Offline OP
OP Offline
What a wonderful group this is. Thank you all for the encouragement. "The" project has been put on hold while I go through back surgery, again. Will let you know how it turns out. The sweater, that is. " in my mind. Or at least what I want. For instance: I like a turned hem and front facing; Fat full sleeves above the cuffs, I like raglan sleeves, but I think not on this sweater. I want a "soft" collar, but not too much of one. Can you think of anything else.... oh yep, Cables, cables, cables. I'll be off work for 3 - 4 weeks. Have plans to work on the schmatic/scamatic/matic, you know ... the blue print of what goes. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who hve written. Oh, no .... there isn't any spell check here.....
Hugs,
Judyth in Kansas

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.