Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I live in the UK and thought you would all like to know that something rather special and very exciting happened on the BBC Young Musician of the Year program tonight. It was the final and five instrumentalists in different categories made it through including a 12 year old violinist. She played the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto and was so fantastically wonderful and it wasn't just because of her age.

She ended up WINNING this event, one of the most prestigious music competitions in the UK which only runs every two years and has run since 1984. The other competitors were in their late teens or early 20s.

Absolutely incredible - do watch it if you get it on Satellite or Digital. Her name is Jennifer Pike - still can't believe it - winning the whole show - the youngest ever winner - 12 years old. And the Royal Academy of Music lent her their Stradivarius violin for the competition because she has only just graduated to a full size violin and she didn't yet have a really good instrument of her own. She is studying at Chetham's School of Music in Manchester at present and no doubt will be for the next six or seven years before she takes off on her international career.

I just had to share this.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
That sounds really inspiring, that a young person can do so well! I'll have to watch for CDs put out with her.

Conny Manero
author of
Waiting for Silverbird
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
If her early promise bears fruit - it's very early days yet but she's certainly getting every opportunity - you most certainly will hear more of this young lady. I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like it. I was still singing the concerto in my head all morning at work today.

Hi Gillian:

I'm in the UK, too, up in Newcastle. I didn't see the BBC show but I'll be on the lookout for Ms. Pike's name - she'll surely be in the news.

I did watch the re-broadcast of the Classical Brit Awards last night and thought the show was great. It was lovely to see Russell Watson and Andreas Bocelli perform.

When Watson was in Newcastle last month, I was lucky enough to get tickets to the performance. It was fantastic!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.