Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#114287 04/20/04 10:22 AM
Shark
Shark
Hi All,

We've had garage sales after selling our last two houses. Some tips:

Be available, but not pushy. When I go to garage sales, it's almost impossible to find the person to ask a question. They're often lurking way in the back of a garage. I like to wander around and be accessible. Seems to bring in people if there are people talking, not just stacks of merchandise.

Even if you can't afford an ad in the paper, which we found brings the antique and second hand people out in droves, so I wouldn't suggest it, put signs out outside your house and on the main street to your house advertising your sale and your address.

Start early in the morning. There are a lot of eager beavers out there Fri and Sat mornings just looking for bargains. We started at 7:30, but other garage sales in our neighborhoods had visitors at 7 a.m.

Make sure you have plenty of change.

If someone looks interested in an item, offer to negotiate a price.

Make sure you have a place to sit in the shade when nothing's happening and something good to read and eat or drink.

Get the whole family involved. My husband is in charge of anything to do with fishing---from poles to buckets.

Good luck!

Carolyn

Carolyn, Editor
my web site:
www.carolynchambersclark.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#114288 04/20/04 10:30 AM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
these are great suggestions Carolyn!

#114289 04/25/04 12:03 PM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
okay, i feel so overwhelmed about pricing and cleaning allll my stuff, and my husband is laying down the law because he's tired of seeing all my crud everywhere. he says we have to have at least one simple garage sale in two weeks - even if I put out unpriced stuff. but I have read that priced and cleaned items get a lot more money. Also, for an unpriced sale, I am not going to spend the money on an ad - I don't want people out in droves if I feel unready. I'll just put out some signs. Ideas, anyone? I am so busy these days.

#114290 08/22/06 01:33 AM
T
Shark
Shark
T
what is the old saying. Some one's rubbish is some-one elses treasure. I must say I enjoy browsing around, some times you pick up a bargain but in my case not too often.

Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them
but you always know they are there.
#114291 09/19/06 03:26 PM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
i never did get back to this, but we had a pretty good garage sale. it would have been better if we'd sprung for an ad, but we makde great signs and people found us anyway.

was it simple??? No. it was a lot of work. Was it worth it??? um...only if you enjoy the work. it was really so much effort for only a few hundred dollars. so I am re-thinking this. maybe a combination of ebay for the good stuff, and use craiglist for some others...and just drop off the rest at Goodwill....

what do people think?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tina - Living Simply 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.