logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#114111 09/05/02 12:58 PM
OP Offline
Hi. Would anyone have information regarding how to find the basics to learn herbal remedies. I have a great interest in this field.Thank-you.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#114112 09/09/05 03:32 PM
I
I
Author Steven Foster is a good source of information. You can check out info online at www.stevenfoster.com
Also, remember--because it is natural does not mean it is safe for everyone and sometimes it is not safe for anyone. My credentials: President of the Ozark Regional Herb Growers Assoc. for two years and co-founder of the Thyme For Herbs Club in Missouri. Author of From Seed to Serve (herbal cook book) and co-author of Thyme for Kids. Also, freelance writer in realm of herbs and herbal use and Native American subjects
Ixbalam

#114113 05/04/06 11:52 PM
A
A
I like the book Herbal Remedies for Dummies its a good starting point. There is so much information on this topic, just do a Google search and you will be busy for hours.

Modular Homes information, Resources and more at Modular Today.
#114114 10/10/06 12:59 PM
J
Koala
Koala
J
There's a magazine called Herbs for Health that I used to take. It was loaded with lots of good info. I've also purchased tons of books over the years.

one good way to start is to figure out what you want to do with the herbs. Do you have a sleep problem-try lavender sachet, upset stomach-try ginger tea.

Research your own health needs and see which herbs will help. Teas are always good. You can also make tinctures with brandy.

#114115 10/10/06 06:45 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Check out the Ozark Folk Center herb gardener, Tina Wilcox. She has written herb books and is widely known. I have known Tina since about 1974 when she was just a little sprout. If you email her or talk to her, tell her Jan Goldfield sent you and says, "Hi."

Jan Goldfield

#114116 11/18/06 12:02 AM
Gecko
Gecko
I know it's a bit on the late side, but two of my favorite herbal remedy books are Prescription for Herbal Healing and The Green Pharmacy.

The Green Pharmacy is geared a little more towards the beginner, being in a more anecdotal style, whereas Percription for Herbal Healing reads more like a doctor's reference book, but both are highly useful and packed with good information. Look for my reviews of both in the upcoming weeks!

JennieK #343556 09/24/07 04:11 PM
A
A
Wow! Looking through the boards and this thread was FLAMING hot with interest. I thought we could open it back up by nudging it to the top of the heap again.

What herbal remedies do you use the most? What ones do you have an interest in learning about? Share if you have them and ask if you need them!

Amelia

Amelia
Herbs
J
Koala
Koala
J
Every time we feel a cold coming on, I make some warm lemonade with cayenne pepper. According to Chinese Medicine, for colds you need to heat the body so cayenne is great. Honey is also an anti-viral.

Here is a recipe that is also posted on my website.

Warm lemonade knocks out colds and flu:

1 cup boiling water
Squeeze in the juice of 2 lemons
Honey to taste
2 dashes of cayenne pepper

Drink several times a day until your cold is gone or you have averted it.

Ginger tea can also be used to clear sinuses and treat any respiratory complaint.

joanj #368878 01/23/08 11:59 AM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I have been studying herbs and herbal remedies for years and find they are very beneficial for natural health aid and nutrition. I make and keep a supply of liniment on hand for aches, joint pain and sore muscles. (it also helps with arthritis pain) In a 16 oz bottle of isopropyl rubbing alchohol add: 1oz each of eucalyptus, bay and rosemary and 1/4 part lobelia. Let this sit for about two weeks, turning gently once a day to mix the herbs up. After two weeks, strain the mixture, discard the herbs and use the alchohol for aches and pains. Remember: When using heral remedies, don't ever think "if a little helps so much then more would be better" - Herbal remedies can be very powerful and you should treat them with great respect and never take herbal remedies if you are on prescription meds without consulting your doctor or practiioner.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I love the lemonade recipe above. I swear by lemons and I have a suggestion. When you put the lemon juice in the boiling water put the cut halves of the lemon in also, there's a lot of antimicrobial stuff in citrus skins and it also adds to the lemon flavor, as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.