logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Aud Won Offline OP
OP Offline
I suppose I have been avoiding shopping, but must do a bit now to keep in line with new work dress code. I slipped into my local Lane Bryant am still having sticker shock. I am not seeking designer suits, just simple slacks, blouses, perhaps a blazer or two. Any suggestions in the PA/NJ/DE area would be grealy appreciated.

I set out to find a friend but couldn't find one; I set out to be a friend, and friends were everywhere.
--Anonymous
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
My recommendation would be to check out your local consignment shops and thrift stores. I work in a law office and have *always* found top quality clothes there, and I *never* buy anything that doesn't look close to brand new. I can get a new wardrobe for under $50! Only downfall is that it takes much longer to weed through everything in the store, but I have always found wonderful buys. Plus, I haven't been to the dry cleaners in years... if I can't throw it in the washer (and sometimes the dryer), I don't bother... and if it gets ruined, no great loss. Good luck!

Tiger
Tiger
It's amazing what you can do with one suit, a skirt, a blouse and a few coloured t-shirts. There are so many combinations. You probably have a few shirts already you can put with a pant suit or skirt. With suiting, when you're just starting out it's important to stick with simple black or maybe a dark navy. It goes with everything and nobody notices if you're wearing the same thing more than once.

Combinations:
pants and jacket with white blouse (if you are going to keep your jacket on you can get a way with a nice looking coloured t-shirt)
pants and blouse/sweater
skirt and jacket with coloured t-shirt
skirt and blouse
pants, jacket, scarf
skirt, jacket, scarf

You really can go far with just a few items. So buying one suit and a skirt with a few inexpensive t-shirts may be another way to go.

Depending on your size going second hand may be extremely hard especially in the plus sizes although it's starting to happen. I found a pair of jeans a few weeks ago for $14.99 Canadian from Value Village. They were brand spanking new and a size 28. I was thrilled. But there was nothing else.

Another option if you're really pressed for money is [url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Moderated by  Nicole - Large & Lovely 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.