logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108404 12/16/02 08:28 PM
OP Offline
I wrote a set of walkthrough pages on a game called Vice City. They're on my website, free for anyone to read and use. I just found out recently that a bunch of auction runners in the UK are auctioning off links to my website!

The auction in essence says "bid for a Vice City walkthrough." The gamer bids say $5 for this walkthrough. When they win the auction, they get an email that says "Thanks for the cash. To read the walkthrough, go to www.bellaonline.com".

Can they do that???

P. Pureheart
Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
T
Well, talked to my brother who is one of those "super sellers" or whatever they call them at eBay, and he said, "yes" they could do this. I told him the intention was that the site is free, but he suggested password protecting the pages (site)...then maybe listing your own auction with a Buy Now option for 1 penny. (I'd use their same title!)

Geez, it takes all kinds...

~Lisa

OP Offline
But 99.9999% of my traffic does NOT come from these eBay bozos, so in essence I would be penalizing every single one of my visitors because of these few eBay people. I would never want to do that!

If I wrote a book on these walkthroughs and they xeroxed it and sold it, that would be wrong. How is it different for them to say "pay me for my walkthrough" and then point the user at my site?

P. Pureheart
T
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
T
I totally understand what you're saying. Even if password protection is not an option (I didn't think it would be fair either), you could still meet them head-on at eBay by posting a similar ad, use the Buy Now for 1 penny, and explain in your ad that YOU are the original author.

I just don't understand the nerve of some people...

~Lisa

T
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
T
I've been thinking (ah...a dangerous thing!) about this situation and I'm wondering what would happen if you put a small disclaimer on the front of each walk through page? Something that says, "If you purchased the link to this site through an eBay auction, please report the incident to... This is a FREE site." That way, the people who spent the money for a "free" link would complain directly to eBay about the particular seller...right?

Just a thought...

(Shoot...had to edit because I had another thought!)

You could even set up an article page on your site with all the particulars about reporting the seller to eBay. Then, just include the link to the article in the disclaimer and you've made it even easier for users to complain about being swindled.

Well...whadaya think?

Shark
Shark
WOW Lisa! I can't believe that. It doesn't seem like they should be able to do that. It almost seems like stealing of some sort. If you really wanted to find out, you could contact Ebay to see what they say. At the least, the people may have to cancel their auctions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.