I never thought of rats & mice living in ivy! Well, look at the bright side, if you manage to get that owl to live in your backyard, he should be able to take care of the rodents!

Hello SandraJ

Another colourful edit that I hope y'all will find useful!

The thing is to keep mass planting of ivy at a single 'storey' level and not let it build up by having to grow over and on top of itself. That way the mice do come for the owls etc, BUT do not breed and stay for too long. It is only when the ivy becomes 'bushy' that they will. So - the answer is to cut back the ivy regularly. Thanks from Lestie

I usually don't propagate plants from cuttings and I don't grown plants from seeds. I'm just too impatient! Having said that, I have started two avocado trees from the seeds - I ate the avocado then rooted the seeds in a glass of water. The first one is now about a foot tall, the other is new and still rooting with a 2 inch stem. Don't know what I'll do with them if they get bigger! But right now it's fun!

Avocado pips to plants to trees are fun in containers and look good and give a green green fill for a long while - but when it comes to planting them out in the garden makes sure there is lots and LOTS of space - roots are very invasive, (100 feet and more widths) will crack building walls and sneak into underground plumbing etc. Keep your plants growing and contained and you will get a good easy plant, plain green display. Easy peasy and a pleasure to grow in a pot. I have a friend who has two avo trees growing in concrete pots as her entrance pots, they give her all she needs for very little work! Cheers from Lestie

Last edited by Lestie - ContainerGardens; 01/08/13 02:21 AM.