I never actually read the book, but I remember VERY well an author interview I heard on NPR shortly after the books release. One of the things I really took home from it was feeling like I had been validated in a lot of my observations about all of the lower paying jobs I was qualified to get at the time. Low pay usually means no benefits, no paid time off, etc. This means an even lower wage and quality of life for those who work in low paying jobs as compared to higher wage jobs.
Currently, I work in education as a paraprofessional - I get a good amount of time off (not paid) and some decent benefits. I have gotten myself somewhat out of the dilemma the book poses. Still, if you average my pay over the course of one year and take out for mandatory deductions, I make less than minimum wage. My job works great with my family, but could never be held by a single parent. I simply do not get paid enough.
I think that as a society we need to look at the value of some of these low paying jobs - do we really want the people preparing our food or cleaning our homes feeling so stressed and overworked? In Native Alaskan Inupiaq culture, the person who cooks is held in very high regard. If someone was washing and sorting my dishes and underwear, I would want them to know they are appreciated.
I don't know how we would change this as a society. The best thing any individual can do is look for the good paying jobs with benefits - it is less work and stress than low paying jobs.
Personally, I am re-evaluating where to take my career next. My current job is NOT a place to stay for my full career. Whether I switch to another field or become certified as an educator, I stand to at least double my bottom line on my pay.
Oh, and of course, I pay the same for my gas, groceries, rent, etc. as someone who is certified and gets paid twice as much.

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum