About a month ago, I suddenly noticed that one of my cat's ears was swollen. I took him to the vet and he said it was a hematoma, where blood and fluid get into the ear flap and swell up. It's due usually to a scratch from the cat himself or another cat.

They suggested a $500 surgery to drain and close the flap. The vet said it would harden and create a "cauliflower ear". Well, my cat is 15 and I didn't think he would even survive a surgery like that so I took him home and googled natural remedies.

I found one called Yunnan Baiyao. It's a powder used in chinese medicine and can be used for people, dogs and cats. I made a paste with it and applied twice a day. Since this hematoma was already about 10 days old when I received the powder in the mail, I think it took longer to work, but it IS working. The hematoma is draining slowly.

since I had to wait for my order to come (got it on Amazon) I applied arnica gel to it, which also helps hematomas to be absorbed. I had this on hand already.

I also applied this to my dog during this time. She got a staff infection from licking at a rash she had. She got antibiotics but the vet said it might take two doses as it's a stubborn thing to get rid of. With the Yunnan Baiyao paste, the entire red, ugly patch was gone in a week so no more antibiotics!

Just thought this might help someone else. I plan to keep this on hand from now on.