I work in Perth from time to time - it's much smaller than the other capital cities and has a lovely laid back feel - I love it.
Gorgeous beaches and nice weather all year (if a little hot for me over summer) again, nice food and wine. Margaret River & the Swan River area are home to many fine wineries.
One of the best restaurants in Australia is in Perth (IMHO) thats Loose Box at Mundaring - if you ever get a chance, don't miss it.
The sights are also, amazing - some are a fair way from Perth but there are lots within easy driving distance from Perth - Fremantle is lovely - interesting maritime museum, historic prison, waterfront restaurants, great antique shops and lots more.
Lots of people like visiting the dolphins at Rockingham - you can swim with them at Monkey Mia, but that's a fair way from Perth.
I like Rottnest Island - you can hire a bike and ride around the island taking in the ocean views.
I think there's an easy charm to Perth.
Ayers Rock, Alice Springs are both amazing - the sights and sounds are well worth the trip - the beauty of the desert, the Olga's and sunset/sunrise at the "Rock"...

Last edited by Deborah49; 11/24/07 05:50 AM.