Exactly Patience, I'm glad Carennedy posted those quotes, hell I asked for them. And nice answers Patience, I'm with you in that I believe that bible was trying to teach us to respect sex and each other. And if anyone believes those parts of the bible are about not being lustful generally, or using our bodies in an 'impure' way, outside of matrimony, then I have no problem with that, so long as they don't use that to attack gay people without throwing the same attacks at promiscuous straight people. I know you weren't attacking Carennedy, in fact your arguements were well balanced and thoughtful, thankyou. I just get a bit defensive because I have had a lot of people attack me (verbally) over the years (and given that I'm only 23, that's saying something!).

I also believe it was wrong to arrest the man who wouldn't let the book into his house, you can't force people to change and he has rights to do what he wants in his own house.

I know most of you are against me on this one but I still believe in educating children about different ways of life. I'm not saying go out of your way and make a big fuss about it, but maybe include examples of it in stories or in math problems, or whatever, the same way that they already do with different races. Just show kids that it is a normal way of life, I know not everyone agrees that it is, but I stand by it. I think it's a lot harder ot reverse prejudice than to instill it; if a person wants to believe something is wrong (for whatever reason) they will sooner or later, however if someone has no particular reason for believing something is wrong, surely it's better to teach them at an early age about tolerance, rather than have to try and teach them when they are older and likely to be stuck in their ways of thinking.

I don't know if that made much sense, but this is something I feel strongly about for personal reasons so sometimes I don't argue it very articulately. Basically what I'm saying is teach tolerance to all and the earlier the better on that front.

Last edited by battlekitten; 07/27/06 11:02 AM.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion." Abraham Lincoln.