I guess I am just used to the hot weather. I lived in Alabama a year and give me dry hot over humid weather any day! It does reach the triple digits here in the summer. We walk our dogs every night after supper and I guess we are just accustomed to the hot summers. We do get some rain, but not usually enough to sustain anything. You do have to water. The winters are very cold here and so anything that you plant has to be hardy. We often have wind chills below zero.

My hubby has a garden, he has it worked out to where it is very minimal work/watering. He puts down straw and has soaker hose on the row crops. The tomatoes (27 this year) he plants in buckets with the bottoms cut out and uses a hose with sprinkler attachments in each bucket and waters them this way. This year we are raising okra, green beans, cucumbers, watermelon, sunflowers (these are for the wild birds we love to feed), bird house gourds, jalapeno peppers, pink-eyed purple hulled peas, onions and garlic. We also put down newspaper and lay grass clippings in the rows to keep weeds down and it conserves water to mulch like that. We water the garden 2 days a week.

We have tried to plant things that will not have to be replaced every year and I have mums in one flower bed and they so well. I had snapdragons that overwintered last year (our first year here as we moved from Texas at Thanksgiving) and so I have a bed of snapdragons this year. We have honeysuckle, grapevine, just created a new bed of perenials and we will see how they do this year (I will post a photo below). Bulb wise we have day lilies, irises, red hot poker, daffodils, tulips and elephant ears. You just have to be vigilant about watering.

I have lots of containers on my porch and those get watered twice a day in the hot weather.

[imageBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~